It’s time to upgrade the gas pipes in your area
If we’re going to upgrade your pipes we’ll send you a letter. Here are the five steps we’ll take to make sure your upgrade goes as smoothly as possible.
Letting you know
- The project start date is in the letter you will be sent.
- We’ll visit you near that date to tell you exactly when we’ll turn off your gas supply.
- This date may change slightly, but we’ll let you know if it does.
Getting set up
- You’ll notice signs and safety barriers being set up before we start work.
- Our colleagues are really friendly, so please ask them if you have any questions.
- We want to cause as little disruption as possible and so we use the latest technology to help with this.
- We will put in the hours to get the work done as quickly as possible.
- There may be traffic lights which result in delays, but we’ll work hard to keep the traffic flowing and the roads safe.
- We try to keep digging to a minimum, but you’ll probably see a few holes in the road or pavement.
Gas off for essential work
- To replace your supply pipe, we’ll need to turn off your gas.
- An engineer will visit you at least 24 hours before (or put a letter through your door) to tell you the exact time when we will turn off your gas supply.
- On the day, our engineer will turn off your gas and we’ll then replace your service.
- We may need to dig on your property, but we’ll leave things as they were.
- Our engineers will ask you for feedback once the work is complete.
Gas on now you're upgraded
- A different engineer will turn your gas back on.
- We’ll always try our best for this to be done the same day. To make sure your gas appliances are safe, we’ll need to complete a free gas-safety check.
- If you’re not home, we’ll leave a card for you to call and arrange a time for us to turn your gas back on and carry out the check.
- Once the gas is back on, our engineer will ask for feedback.
Completing the job
- We’ll fill in any holes on your land neatly and to a good standard.
- Where reasonably possible, we will use the same type of material as the original.
- We’ll only resurface the part of your drive, path or garden where we’ve dug.
- Our special reinstatement team will make sure we leave you happy.
- After we’ve finished work at your home, we may still be in your area connecting the new gas pipes to the existing gas network.
You stay warm and happy
We hope you now have a clearer picture of what to expect as we make sure your gas supply is fit for the future. Replacing such an extensive network is a big job, but we’ll keep you informed as we work.
Rest assured, we’ll have your new and improved gas network completed as soon as we can.
...for your patience and understanding.
We’re doing our best to upgrade gas pipes in your area as smoothly as we can. For a clearer picture of what we’ve got planned, you can watch this short video:
Watch our gas pipe upgrades video
We have an award-winning track record for customer service, but we don’t take this for granted –and we really value your feedback.
Please let us know what you think by filling in the Survey that our engineer gives you or online, because we know that it’s only by listening that we can keep you happy.