Skip to content

Fochriw youngster saves the lives of her family

Posted on: 03/06/2019

A quick thinking seven-year old has saved the lives of her family after putting her gas safety knowledge to good use and spotting the deathly signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fochriw Primary’s Jaydee-Lee Dummett reeled off the gas emergency telephone number to her panicked mother, Lindy, after her brother woke in the middle of the night disorientated and seeing things. It was Jaydee-Lee who then quickly spotted the carbon monoxide detector alarm had turned from its usual green colour to red and instructed her mum to ring for help immediately.

Jaydee-Lee’s mum, Lindy, explains:

“A few weeks previous Jaydee-Lee had come home from school full of beans after being visited by the team from Wales & West Utilities who delivered a gas safety session. Looking back, without this lesson I genuinely don’t think we’d still be alive.

“After seeing her brother so confused, Jaydee-Lee quickly looked for other tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and then, like it was second nature, she reeled off the gas emergency number – 0800 111 999 – I couldn’t believe it!”

Engineers from Wales & West Utilities quickly attended the family home and turned off the gas supply and made it safe, whilst Jaydee-Lee made a further impression on the engineers with her knowledge.

Sean Ward, a Wales & West Utilities emergency engineer, attended the family home and said:

“The quick-thinking actions of Jaydee-Lee have saved her family’s lives and she should be commended. From speaking to her that night it was clear that she took in such a lot of vital information from the gas safety session which is fantastic!

“Every year we make approximately 4,000 visits to properties where we find evidence of carbon monoxide.  It’s important for people to realise that this is a poisonous gas that doesn’t smell, has no taste and can’t be seen - but it kills 50 people in the UK every year and leaves a further 200 seriously ill.

“Jaydee-Lee should feel incredibly proud of herself – her quick-thinking is to be admired!”

Lindy added:

“I couldn’t be prouder of Jaydee-Lee – she literally has saved our lives. From being involved in a simple lesson on gas safety, she knew exactly what to look for.

“The gas safety session was obviously pitched in a fun and interactive way, as she took in so much information and I would urge everyone to brush up on their gas safety knowledge as you never know when you might need it. I didn’t have the necessary information, but I thank the lucky stars that my daughter did – it’s certainly not a number that I am ever likely to forget.”

Mrs Pascoe, Jaydee-Lee’s headteacher at Fochriw Primary School added:

“We are very proud of Jaydee-Lee’s actions regarding this important issue. She clearly knows our three school rules beyond the school gates of ‘respectful, responsible and safe’. Jaydee-Lee is a role model to others.”

Wales & West Utilities, the gas emergency and pipeline service, takes pride in serving the south west of England and Wales. If anyone smells gas, thinks they have a gas leak, or suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, they should call us on 0800 111 999 and our engineers will be there to help, day or night. 

The company also has a multi-million pound, 30-year gas pipe investment programme which began in 2002. Old metal pipes within 30 metres of buildings are being upgraded with new long-lasting plastic pipes with a lifespan of more than 80 years, to make sure homes and businesses continue to receive a safe and reliable gas supply now and in the future.