As an energy network, we know you’re relying on us now more than ever to keep you safe and warm at home.
There is no impact on the safe and reliable supply of gas to homes and businesses across Wales and south west England. We are focussed on keeping the gas flowing to your home safely, and responding to gas emergencies. If we do need to visit your home, we’ll ask you a few quick questions about your health before we do:
- Are you experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 (coronavirus), or in close contact with someone who is?
- Are you in self isolation?
Please don’t worry about these questions. We will still come and help you – but we want to keep you and our colleagues safe.
As the situation with Covid-19 evolves we’ll keep this web page updated with all the information you need.
What if I have a gas emergency during the Covid-19 crisis?
Call 0800 111 999 immediately. Before visiting you, we’ll ask you to let us know if you or anyone in your household, is experiencing coronavirus symptoms or self-isolating. Don’t worry, we’ll still come to keep you safe. Before our engineer visits you, they'll thoroughly wash their hands and be wearing the appropriate protective equipment, and while our engineer is in your home, they may ask you to stand in a different room to keep social distance. This is just to make sure we are taking all the necessary precautions to keep you and our colleagues safe.
As you would expect, we are also liaising closely with government and public health bodies, we are working in line with expert advice, including guidelines on hygiene and social distancing.
Looking after those most in need
If you or anyone you know, has received a letter from the NHS advising you to take additional measures to protect yourself from Covid19, then you should consider signing up for the Priority Services Register. It provides free additional services if there is a power cut or in the unlikely event of an interruption to your gas supply. You can find out more and sign up here or by calling 0800 912 2999.
What’s the impact of Covid-19 on Wales & West Utilities?
There is no impact on the safe and reliable supply of gas to homes and businesses across Wales and south west England.
As we face the challenge of Covid19 Coronavirus together, we want to reassure you and people in communities we serve right across Wales and south west England that we are prepared. We are monitoring the situation closely and taking precautions to look after our customers and colleagues alike. We are receiving regular updates from the Welsh and UK Government, as well as public health organisations.
What precautions are you taking?
We’ve activated our Pandemic Response Group. Meeting daily (remotely) and headed by our Leadership Team, the group is helping us respond to the challenges we face flexibly. The actions we’re currently taking include:
- Preparing our essential functions including our Control Room and Emergency Service Despatch. They’ll be working from multiple locations to make sure we can keep the gas flowing and respond to gas emergencies.
- Looking after customers and colleagues by making sure our colleagues are fully briefed on the precautions they need to take if they have to visit customer homes, providing hand sanitiser and the appropriate protective equipment.
- Making sensible decisions by suspending all non-essential business travel and events, and making sure all colleagues that can are working from home.
- Working in partnership with other energy networks, Ofgem and Government so we are prepared as we can be. You can find out more about what energy networks are doing to keep customers and colleagues safe and how we'll be keeping your energy flowing during Coronavirus here.
- Working with our supply chain to make sure we have access to all the parts, and protective equipment we need.