Preparing for the future
You may not have heard about us, but we’re already closely connected. We’re the people that look after the pipes that keep the gas flowing to heat homes and power businesses across Wales and south west England, helping keep you safe and warm at home.
Our next business plan sets out how we’re going to deliver the services that you rely on in the future.
This is the plan we’re writing together
Since 2018, more than 25,000 of you have helped to help write this plan, letting us know what you think about the future of your gas network and the services we provide.
After listening to what you've told us we've summarised your feedback into four areas. Then we've taken what you've asked us to and developed a series of commitments, setting out what we'll deliver between 2021-2026.
We still want to hear your views. You can have your say by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We promise to deliver a high quality and inclusive service.
- To continue to test ourselves against challenging accreditation and independent standards so you know our service is the best it can be.
- We’ll consistently resolve over 85% of complaints in 1 day
- Delivering outstanding service will continue to be a fundamental part of our culture – part of colleague induction, training and coaching.
- As your expectations and technology evolve, the way you can communicate and engage with us will too. But our commitment to outstanding, inclusive and accessible service will remain.
We promise to continue to increase the number of people on the PSR and work with other utilities to support the most vulnerable.
- We’ll work with partners and carer networks to increase the number of PSR sign ups by 150% compared to 2018/19
- To continue to work with others to put in place data sharing agreements for water, gas and electricity sectors so we can all support those who need it most efficiently.
We promise to lift more families out of fuel poverty and safeguard against CO.
- To work with partners to help more than 1000 homes in fuel poverty make sure they’re on the right energy tariff, maximise their income and tackle debt every year.
- To continue to raise awareness of the danger of carbon monoxide, visiting 50 schools a year and focussing on those in rented homes and the most vulnerable.
- We’ll increase the number of Locking Cooker Valves fitted, helping people live independently for longer.
We promise to proactively manage theft of gas
- We’ll use industry data and our resources to tackle this problem proactively – keeping people safe and making sure bills are fair.
- We’ll support the most vulnerable to register with a gas supplier
We promise to further reduce our environmental impact
- Upgrade 400km of old gas pipes and 20,000 gas services a year – not only keeping the gas flowing safely but reducing carbon emissions by the equivalent of taking 46,000 cars off the road
- Make sure 75% of our company cars are hybrid or ultra-low emission vehicles while exploring how we can reduce emissions from our heavy goods fleet.
We promise to become an even more sustainable network
- Make sure UN Sustainable Development Goals and the Wellbeing of Future Generations (Wales) Act are considered in all our planning
- Clean up and monitor 85 historic gas work sites so they can be returned to community use
- Continue to reduce, reuse and recycle our office and operational waste: eliminating single use plastics while increasing the use of recycled stone and soil.
We promise to support more green gas producers connect to our network, helping to decarbonise heat
- Use smarter technology to enable more connections – reducing costs for producers
- Work in partnership with others to promote connecting green gas production to the gas network
- Work to facilitate the conversion of large cities to zero carbon hydrogen
We promise to lead the way in delivering an affordable, reliable and sustainable future for energy
- Continue to explore the options for decarbonisation from a customer’s point of view, making sure that any solution is not only affordable but also keeps disruption to a minimum
- Play our part in decarbonising electricity by continuing to connect peaking power stations to our network, supporting renewable energy.
- Work with other gas and electricity networks to help design a ‘whole system’ energy future that decarbonises heat, transport and electricity
- Be part of a ‘national conversation’ on the future of heat, helping energy consumers understand the need for change and the options available.
We promise to invest to make sure your gas supply continues to be safe
- Investing £450m to upgrade 400km of old gas pipes every year between 2021-2025, and upgrade the individual supply pipes to 20,000 homes a year to keep you and your family safe for generations to come
- Use data to target investment in our pipes and equipment, maintaining them as cost effectively as possible.
- And in the event of a gas emergency, an engineer will be with you within an hour to make things safe.
We promise to keep the gas flowing reliably for years to come
- Investing £450m to upgrade 400km of old gas pipes every year between 2021-2025, making sure that unplanned interruptions to your gas supply is a once in a lifetime occurrence
- In the unlikely event of an unplanned interruption to your supply, we’ll resolve the problem and turn it back on in less than 10 hours on average.
- Focus on detecting and preventing cyber-attacks, and maintain the security and integrity of our systems.
We promise to make sure our team is resilient and is ready to deliver what you want and need.
- Make sure we have all the skills we need for the future through high quality apprenticeships and upskilling and multi-skilling colleagues – especially in rural areas.
- Retain skilled colleagues by making Wales & West Utilities somewhere people want to work: a flexible, values driven organisation that recognises the importance of a work-life balance, wellbeing and development opportunities.
- Improve the diversity of our team so we reflect the communities we serve, celebrating difference, irrespective of age, gender, ethnicity or sexuality.
We promise to deliver what you want and need, while keeping our costs as low as we possibly can
- For the gas emergency service, maintaining the existing gas network and upgrading old gas pipes, while delivering outstanding levels of customer service we expect our element of your bill to remain at £133 (2018/19 prices) – or 35p a day.
We promise to make sure you receive a value for money service.
- We’ll save 0.5% a year – 2.5% by 2026, against our budget right across our organisation. This will be returned to you through your gas supplier
We promise to spend your money wisely, based on what gives best value every time.
- The money we’ll spend between 2021-2025 will not only keep the gas flowing safely and reliably today, it will also prepare the gas network for the future
We promise to continue to collaborate and innovate.
- We’ll work with over 500 organisations, including SMEs and academia to address the challenges we face.
- Using data in new ways will help us identify and support the most vulnerable in the communities we serve
- Innovation will design new tools, equipment and processes make our work more efficient and less disruptive to customers and communities today
- Our research will explore the options for decarbonisation from a customer’s point of view, making sure that any solution is not only affordable but also keeps disruption to a minimum