Environment & Renewable Energy
Our network runs through some of the most spectacular and beautiful landscapes in Britain. We are committed to the protection and enhancement of the environment, always seeking new ways to minimise the environmental impacts of our past, present and future activities. We firmly believe that everyone working for or on behalf of our company is responsible for good environmental performance. To demonstrate this commitment, we consider the environment in everything we do, and we're certified to BS EN ISO 14001, an internationally accepted standard for good environmental management.
Below is a big list. It's a list of key principles. These provide the framework we use to set goals for improving our environmental performance, and for delivering and maintaining a culture that achieves those goals.
- We expect our board and management team to lead the way in promoting good environmental performance, and to commit the appropriate resources to achieve our environmental goals;
- We will always meet, and where appropriate, exceed the requirements of legislation, policies and our other commitments where the environment is involved;
- Preventing pollution is one of our highest priorities, but if an incident does occur, we will respond to minimise impact on human health and the environment;
- We minimise, reuse or recycle waste whenever budgets allow, and we make sure that any waste we do generate is managed properly and safely;
- We work to protect the environment for future generations by helping to minimise the emissions that lead to climate change;
- We manage the risk from sites that have been contaminated by gas manufacturing in the past and improve these sites where we can by active site management;
- We require our contractors to demonstrate the same level of commitment and performance as we do in the management of the environment;
- We encourage all our people to embrace the culture of environmental good practice in everything they do.
- We make sure that everyone at Wales & West Utilities has the skills, knowledge, and resources they need to contribute to our environmental commitments;
- We encourage open and constructive dialogue with colleagues, members of the public and other stakeholders to continually challenge our performance and provide feedback that we can use to make our good work even better.
- We actively identify the environmental risks of the work we do, and set environmental goals and targets. These are shared with everyone employed by or working on behalf of us;
- We monitor and review our environmental performance, check how well our management systems are working and report our performance to employees, contractors, the public and other stakeholders.
- We work closely with our Western Gas Alliance partners to reduce environmental impacts by cooperation, coordination, and sharing the benefits of best practice techniques, procurement, and efficient working methods.
We publish our results.