Do you want to join the team that keeps 7.5 million people safe and warm?
We are Wales & West Utilities, the gas emergency and pipeline service for Wales and the south west of England. We don’t sell gas; instead we use our 35,000km network of pipes to transport gas to homes and businesses. We respond to gas emergencies and we’re investing £2m a week across our network, connecting new properties and upgrading old metal gas pipes to new ones.
Who are we looking for?
This year we're recruiting to two graduate programmes
Based at our head office in Newport, the two-year programme includes formal training and mentoring from experienced engineers and managers, and focuses on the achievement of Chartered Engineer status. The first year of the programme will be spent in engineering placements in the office and with our operational teams. This is followed by a year of developing engineering and managerial skills in an office based environment, working on engineering projects. This programme is accredited by both the Institute of Gas Engineers and Managers and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- To apply for our Mechanical Engineering Graduate Programme, you’ll have (or expect) at least a 2:2 or a Masters degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or similar accredited by the IGEM, the IMechE, or IET
Operational Project Management
Run over two years and based across south west England, this programme is designed to support graduates to become our future operational managers. It combines formal training with mentoring from experienced operational managers along with placements in key areas of Wales & West Utilities to give our graduate a full understanding of our business. The programme aims to give graduates experience of working as part of a team to deliver operational targets whilst maintaining exceptional levels of gas safety and customer satisfaction.
- If you're interested in our Operational Project Management Graduate Programme, you’ll have (or expect) at least a 2:2 or a Masters degree in Project Management, or a similar degree that is accredited by APM.
Do you have what it takes?
We’re a values driven business. To us, how we do things is just as important as what we do. We are passionate about our values and want to find people who share them to join our team and be part of an exciting future. You can find out more about the way we do things here.
What can you expect from us?
- A salary of £25,000
- 25 days (plus Bank Holidays) Annual Leave
- Enhanced company sick pay
- A comprehensive in house Occupational Health programme which includes Employee Assistance Programme, Wellbeing at Work, and annual Health Surveillance
- You will be part of our Defined Contribution pension scheme; and
- Have access to our Flexible Benefits programme, Choices
What do we expect of you?
- Commitment to complete our Graduate Programme
- To live our values
- Working in line with our strong safety culture to protect you and our customers
- Attend college and dedicated training centres
- Take responsibility for your own development
Stage 1 – Online application (7 May – 9 June)
This is your opportunity to tell us a bit about you. Help us understand who you are and how you do things. We’re looking for people who can clearly relate to our values using their own experiences work, education, or home life.
Stage 2 – Video Interview and Online exercise (w/c 10 June)
We’ll ask you to complete an online exercise and short video interview based on our Values. This will help us learn more about who you are, and what is important to you.
Stage 3 – Assessment Centre (w/c 24 June)
If you get to Stage 3 we’ll invite you to a recruitment day near you. You’ll have to complete a group exercise as well as an interview with an experienced manager. You’ll also learn more about the role of a graduate within Wales & West Utilities, and be able to speak to current graduates on our programme.