Cogan Primary School pupils first to benefit from vital gas safe information
More than 60 pupils have learnt vital gas safety information from Wales & West Utilities after Cogan Primary was one of the first schools in the Vale of Glamorgan to benefit from a dedicated lesson from Wales & West Utilities Gas Safety Ambassadors.
Both Year 2 and 5 pupils were paid a visit from Wales & West Utilities Gas Safety Ambassadors, Georgie Govier and Dawn James, who educated them on the importance of gas safety and CO awareness, as well as the steps to take to keep themselves safe.
Cogan Primary's Hollie, Esmee and Rhys learn gas safety tips
As part of the talks Georgie and Dawn explained what gas does in the home and how it gets there. They described what Wales & West Utilities do to make sure people continue to receive a safe and reliable gas supply, as well as the steps they should take if they were to smell gas or suspect CO poisoning. Pupils were then encouraged to learn the emergency gas phone number – 0800 111 999.
Daniel Bennett, Deputy Headteacher at Cogan Primary School, said:
“When we learnt of the opportunity for our pupils to be educated first-hand through Wales & West Utilities we jumped at the chance.
“Gas safety is essential and the delivery of the lesson was done in an interactive manner, but with a serious message for youngsters to take back to their loved ones. We all really enjoyed learning about an important subject but in an interesting way.”
Georgie Govier, Customer Support Officer at Wales & West Utilities said:
“We were delighted to visit Cogan Primary and let the young people know about the importance of gas safety. As a company we’re always working hard to help keep the communities we serve safe and warm as well as raising awareness of the deathly dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“The pupils were really engaged and we now urge them to take this important information back to their families and loved ones.”
Wales & West Utilities, the gas emergency and pipeline service, brings energy to 7.5m people across the south west of England and Wales. If anyone smells gas, thinks they have a gas leak, or suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, they should call us on 0800 111 999 and our engineers will be there to help, day or night.