Be CO Safe this Christmas
We’re urging our customers across Wales and the south west to stay safe this festive season and remember what to do if you smell gas.
If you smell gas or you’re worried about gas safety, you can call 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night, 365 days a year. The call is free. Just pick up the phone, dial the number and you will be put through to a trained operator who will take all the details and send an emergency engineer to help you.
All calls to the National Gas Emergency Service are recorded, and may be monitored.
If you smell gas, call free on 0800 111 999 and please take these steps:
- Turn off the gas at the meter, unless the meter is located in a cellar or basement - in which case, do not enter.
- If there is a smell of gas in the cellar or basement, evacuate the building immediately.
- Put out all naked flames, don’t smoke or strike matches.
- Turn off all gas appliances and do not use again until they are checked by the engineer.
- Do not operate any electrical appliances or turn any switches on or off.
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the property.
- Evacuate the building as soon as you can and keep people away from the area.
Wishing you a safe and Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.